MikeFrancesa.com Homepage WFAN Forums Sports/Political/Media Blog Email Contact Address

For the sage wisdom and oracle like abilities of The Mike Francesa.com; EMAIL THE WEBSITE BY VISITING THE HOMEPAGE

Support The App

Go Back   The MikeFrancesa.com Mike's On & WFAN Message Board Forum > Mike Francesa Mike's On WFAN Mad Dog > Super Bowl Contest
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
JB25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbrannick View Post
Yes you did! I even heard you call back later that day and question Mike. He gave you a lame duck answer that the question was worded so that the only answer could be Branch. That's BS. You should keep pressing this. Maybe they will let you be the first contestant next year. They have done such things in the past.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
nateD

Hey everyone. Its Nate from Bergen, the winner from Fridays contest.

I wanted to give a huge thank you to HOWL who posted my winning clip online. I had DVR'd the show on TV, but for some reason, it did not save correctly.

Though I didnt get my answers from the board, I also want to say that the board did a great job all contest. From regular questions to audios you guys did awesome.

One thing in general, I called using the regular number, and used my cell phone. So it is possible to get through on a cell. I started calling at 4pm and rediled a bunch. Got through at around 425.

As far as my questions went, I figured out the Jabari Greer answer on Thursday night. Here is an email to my friend on Thur night-

---------
my guess...Jabari Greer.

my clues-

1. the audio quality sounds recent, so its probably within the last 10 years
2a. "not soaking it in", i figure its a team that hadnt already been to the SB (so no Giants, Steelers, Pats...)
2b. "not soaking it in" might also mean they are in a great city (not Indy, Tampa, Detroit)
3. sounds like a skinny guy voice, so no OL, DL.

So i figure its someone on the Saints. They hadnt played in the SB. they played in Miami. So Greer is my first guess.

So I found Greer on youtube (first link him, 2nd the contest again)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCN-YmMhOsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84xqlyq0OEU

-----------

That was my email.
That's how I figured out the Greer question. My clues might have been totally wrong, but it lead me to the right place. And trying to search on youtube for Greer first was mostly luck.

[I did the same process in getting Kuhn last year before anyone, Stanford Jennings the year before, but never got on the show. I have twice before gotten through and was on hold when someone won, and twice before gotten through and gotten questions wrong...2 Giants starting WR in 1986 SB, player going longest between SBs were my questions]

I was just hoping I would get that as my audio. In fact, I was very confident that I would get to the 4th question. I had every question/answer written down from the week, and I was sure he would give all 3 questions as repeats... Boy, was I wrong.

[During the contest, I had this link up as reference- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...owl_champions]

Question 1 I knew as a Giants fan, and he asked it 2 callers before me anyway.

Question 2 was brand new, and it took me a few seconds to process the question. Once I understood it, I got it quickly. I just looked at past winner scores. The only tricky part was that the Giants had 21 last year. But I knew they didnt score 3 TDs, had the safety... So looking up the list after that, the next winning team with a multiple of 7 was the Steelers in 2006. I didnt sound sure of the answer, because I wasnt. It was an educated guess, because other teams could have had TDs and a safety to end not on 7, 14, 21, 28...but I didnt have time, so guessed Steelers.

Question 3 was REALLY tough. I was sure he'd give me a repeat question. Then he breaks out the new one on me. Last team to win without a passing TD? I didnt understand the question at first. I thought it was last team, not last winning team. Then he repeated it and I understood it. I looked at the wikipedia page, knew the last few years had passing TDs. I tried looking at a couple of box scores quickly, but I had no time. So I just guessed Broncos. Completely random. Dont know why I picked them. And if I had realized they scored 31 points, I wouldnt have said them. I was out of time and panic said Broncos. Crazy.

Then he gave me the Jabari Greer answer, which I told you about.

Thats about it. I went to the station today to sign papers, pick up a prize pack and am off to New Orleans on Thursday!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Mr Blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateD View Post
Hey everyone. Its Nate from Bergen, the winner from Fridays contest.

I wanted to give a huge thank you to HOWL who posted my winning clip online. I had DVR'd the show on TV, but for some reason, it did not save correctly.

Though I didnt get my answers from the board, I also want to say that the board did a great job all contest. From regular questions to audios you guys did awesome.

One thing in general, I called using the regular number, and used my cell phone. So it is possible to get through on a cell. I started calling at 4pm and rediled a bunch. Got through at around 425.

As far as my questions went, I figured out the Jabari Greer answer on Thursday night. Here is an email to my friend on Thur night-

---------
my guess...Jabari Greer.

my clues-

1. the audio quality sounds recent, so its probably within the last 10 years
2a. "not soaking it in", i figure its a team that hadnt already been to the SB (so no Giants, Steelers, Pats...)
2b. "not soaking it in" might also mean they are in a great city (not Indy, Tampa, Detroit)
3. sounds like a skinny guy voice, so no OL, DL.

So i figure its someone on the Saints. They hadnt played in the SB. they played in Miami. So Greer is my first guess.

So I found Greer on youtube (first link him, 2nd the contest again)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCN-YmMhOsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84xqlyq0OEU

-----------

That was my email.
That's how I figured out the Greer question. My clues might have been totally wrong, but it lead me to the right place. And trying to search on youtube for Greer first was mostly luck.

[I did the same process in getting Kuhn last year before anyone, Stanford Jennings the year before, but never got on the show. I have twice before gotten through and was on hold when someone won, and twice before gotten through and gotten questions wrong...2 Giants starting WR in 1986 SB, player going longest between SBs were my questions]

I was just hoping I would get that as my audio. In fact, I was very confident that I would get to the 4th question. I had every question/answer written down from the week, and I was sure he would give all 3 questions as repeats... Boy, was I wrong.

[During the contest, I had this link up as reference- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...owl_champions]

Question 1 I knew as a Giants fan, and he asked it 2 callers before me anyway.

Question 2 was brand new, and it took me a few seconds to process the question. Once I understood it, I got it quickly. I just looked at past winner scores. The only tricky part was that the Giants had 21 last year. But I knew they didnt score 3 TDs, had the safety... So looking up the list after that, the next winning team with a multiple of 7 was the Steelers in 2006. I didnt sound sure of the answer, because I wasnt. It was an educated guess, because other teams could have had TDs and a safety to end not on 7, 14, 21, 28...but I didnt have time, so guessed Steelers.

Question 3 was REALLY tough. I was sure he'd give me a repeat question. Then he breaks out the new one on me. Last team to win without a passing TD? I didnt understand the question at first. I thought it was last team, not last winning team. Then he repeated it and I understood it. I looked at the wikipedia page, knew the last few years had passing TDs. I tried looking at a couple of box scores quickly, but I had no time. So I just guessed Broncos. Completely random. Dont know why I picked them. And if I had realized they scored 31 points, I wouldnt have said them. I was out of time and panic said Broncos. Crazy.

Then he gave me the Jabari Greer answer, which I told you about.

Thats about it. I went to the station today to sign papers, pick up a prize pack and am off to New Orleans on Thursday!
Wow...u certainly earned it. Great story and even better job. I also want to say that I said that u sounded like u were guessing...whether u were or weren't no disrespect intended. In fact, I think it's a better strategy to sound liked you're guessing. Mike likes to go after confident sounding people with really hard stuff even though he admittedly went after you thinking u wouldn't survive. Great job and enjoy the game.